Time and place:
The Geekfest Kids Costume contest will take place Saturday, May 18th in the Mayborn Science Theater Dome.
- Pre-judging will take place for the homemade categories during the lineup.
- Lineup will start at 1:30 outside the Dome Theater. Inside, contest staff will check that everyone who's signed up is there, take a photo of you in costume, and line you up in show order.
- The Costume Contest will start at 2:00 p.m.
Awards will be announced immediately after all contestants have walked the stage and the judges have tallied the final scores.
Please read and make sure you understand the rules before registering. If you have any questions, you can message us on Facebook or email us at email@example.com
- You can register online or at the Epically Geeky Table (located in the Mayborn Science Theater) to compete in the Costume Contest. However, the number of contestants is limited so it is highly recommended that you register online or as soon as you get to EGX to reserve a spot in the contest.
- Everyone who registers online will need to check in at the Epically Geeky table when they arrive at EGX by 1 pm on Saturday, May 18th. Preregistration will only guarantee your spot in the contest until then. After that, any spots that were held by pre-registered contestants who have not checked in will be offered to walk-up contestants on a first-come, first-served basis. Preregistered contestants who missed the check-in deadline can still register if there are spots still available.
- You must be 12 years old or younger or in a group cosplay with a member that is 12 years or younger and have a valid wristband showing you've paid to attend EGX 2019 on the day of the contest.
- You must choose one and only one category to enter. The descriptions are listed below, but if you are still unsure which one to pick, ask one of the attendants at the Epically Geeky table. They will point you in the right direction. Please note that the judges may move you to a more appropriate category if they see fit. The categories are
- Handmade: Just about everything being worn is from scratch. A few items may have been purchased like hose or a wig, but the majority is made.
- Store Bought: The majority or entirety of the costume was store bought. Additional items like props may have been added or substituted.
- Groups: This category is for all groups. It doesn't matter if your costumes were bought, pieced together, or made from scratch. At least one member of the group must be under 12 years old.
5. Any costume that has received an award from Geekfest in the previous three years cannot be re-entered into the costume contest in ANY category.
6. Costumes must be family-friendly. No costume is no costume. Obscene, offensive, or overly revealing costumes will not be permitted.
7. Props are allowed on stage if they have been approved by the EGX Weapons Check table and adhere to the Geekfest Weapons Policy.
8. Any items you bring on stage with you must leave the stage with you. This means no confetti, glitter, silly string, etc.
9. All judge and staff decisions are final. Any breaking of the rules can lead to disqualification.
Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be given for each of the four categories - Handmade 0-6, Handmade 7-12, Store Bought, and Groups. A judge's choice award will be presented by each of the three judges to an individual they believe did something special or outstanding with their costume
Pre-Registration will be open online until 10 p.m. May 17th.
On-site Walk-Up Registration
Walk-up registration will be available at the Epically Geeky table at the front door of the Planetarium.
- Friday, May 17th from 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 18th from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.